A full day hiking in the Blue Mountains, starting at Katoomba and walking to the Ruined Castle rock formation and return.
This day will suit people with good fitness, who have some previous bushwalking experience and have done some distance walking in preparation. We hike a total of 14 kilometres in Blue Mountains National Park with lunch at the Ruined Castle. The day will include some very steep climbs and descents on roughly formed walking track and long sections of rocky steep steps. We start and finish at the popular Scenic World tourist attraction.
This event will NOT suit people brand new to bushwalking or those who have not walked a similar 14km distance recently.
Meet your Hike Out friends at the main entrance to Scenic World ready to depart on foot at 10:00am sharp. We hike 7klm down Furber Steps and along the Federal Pass walking trail to climb the Ruined Castle where we’ll enjoy a break and lunch before returning 7klm to finish the day back at Katoomba.
See the links below for more route information.
No park use fees for hikers
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
- Be at Scenic World in Katoomba ready to depart on foot at 10:00am sharp
- Wear clothing appropriate for the day’s weather forecast.
- Wear hiking boots or trail shoes that are worn in and comfortable and NOT brand new!
- Consider using hiking poles
- Bring a day-pack loaded with:
- Selection of spare clothing, warm jacket etc.
- Plenty of fresh drinking water
- Lunch supplies and trail snacks
- Hat, sunscreen, rain poncho
- First aid, camera, medications and any other items you usually take on hiking days.
- Contact Rick (email@example.com) to let him know that you will attend and discuss any concerns regarding fitness or equipment. Mention any existing medical conditions like asthma, allergies or diabetes before our hike.
- Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, on time and ready to hike. We walk as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We watch out for eachother and we are focused on everyone having a safe and enjoyable day.
Ruined Castle via Furber Steps (14 klm):