A big October long weekend exploring the vast wilderness of the Budawangs in Morton National Park on the NSW south coast.
This adventure will suit 8 very experienced and fit people who have been walking with their pack in preparation. You need equipment and knowledge to undertake a 4 day remote pack hike in difficult and challenging terrain. Consider this walk HARD and understand that it will involve very steep ascents and descents, scrambling and climbing, off-track navigation, pressing through scrub and swamps and camping in overhangs and undeveloped clearings.
The reward will be spending 4 days and 3 nights in this stunning and majestic location, enjoying views that will take your breath away and memories that will stay with you long after the hike is complete. The route plan will develop further as the weekend approaches, but allow at least 15 hard earned kilometers each day for a total of 60 kilometers minimum.
We start and finish at Sassafras in the north and experience a number of remote areas in a large loop walk. Locations you can expect to visit include The vines, Hidden Valley, Mt Haughton, Mt Tarn, Mt Cole, Mt Owen, Monolith Valley, DonJon Mountain, Angel Creek, Crooked Falls, Hollands Creek, Watson Pass and Folly Point.
Meet at Sassafras backpack campground ready to set off on foot early Friday morning. Consider arriving at camp on Thursday evening so that you are onsite and ready for the early departure on Friday.
Here’s a map with some key waypoint markers and an idea of the terrain we will explore.
To participate, send an email to Rick (firstname.lastname@example.org). This trip is strictly limited to 8 people. Expect to have a phone discussion with Rick about fitness, equipment and experience prior to joining this hike. A waiting list will be maintained in case of any cancellations. Putting your name on an attending list on social media does NOT confirm attendance!
See the links below for further information, trip notes and pictures of previous adventures in the Budawangs.
No camping or park use fees
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
- Take all of Friday 03/10 off as well as the long weekend day Monday 06/10
- Follow the instructions on how to reserve your spot. Email only.
- Be at the NPWS Sassafras backpack camping area ready to depart on foot early Friday morning.
- Consider camping overnight Thursday evening at Sassafras backpack camping area
- Have all supplies and equipment in your backpack, including:
- Warm and waterproof clothing
- Tent, sleeping mat and good sleeping bag
- Food for 4 days/3 nights, cooking gear, utensils and fuel
- Water and water filtration/treatment equipment
- Supplies for making hot drinks
- Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent and a variety of clothing
- Map, compass, GPS, PLB, first aid, camera, rope and carabiner and all the equipment and supplies that you usually take on a major hike of this nature.
- Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, on time and ready to hike. We walk as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We watch out for eachother and we are focused on having a safe and enjoyable trip.
NPWS Morton National Park: http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/NationalParks/parkBackpackCamping.aspx?id=N0022
Bushwalking NSW: http://bushwalkingnsw.com/park.php?nid=114