Three weeks exploring and camping along large sections of Southwest National Park coastline in Tasmania’s World Heritage Area.
This adventure will suit a small number of very fit and very experienced long distance hikers who all know each other and get along well together. Participants will need equipment, skills, knowledge and experience to undertake a long pack hike in this remote and challenging terrain.
The reward will include spending an extended period in this spectacular place, with breathtaking views atop of South West Cape and Ironbound Ranges and walking along some of the most pristine and isolated beaches anywhere. There will be challenges too, with long sections of track resembling more an endurance course than hiking trail. Expect deep sloppy mud, huge climbs and descents and deep water crossings sprinkled in between all those beautiful beaches. The weather can turn from glorious sunshine to thumping rain in minutes. A mix of awesome natural beauty and grinding determination, this will be a truly memorable trip where you can anticipate hiking at least 170 kilometers.
Full itinerary details will be supplied to those intending to participate, but here’s the basic plan:
- 20 Dec - Fly to Hobart
- 21 Dec - Light Plane to Melaleuca Airstrip
- 21 to 28 Dec - Hike the entire South West Cape Circuit (including some R&R days and side-trips)
- 29 Dec - Rest day and resupply at Melaleuca
- 30 Dec to 8th Jan - Walk the entire South Coast Track from Melaleuca to Cockle Creek ( including some R&R days and side-trips)
- 9 & 10 Jan - Relax and explore around Hobart.
Participants can join the entire 3 week trip, or just the South West Cape Circuit or South Coast Track sections.
To find out more and discuss participation, send an email to Rick (email@example.com). This trip is strictly limited to 4 people. Expect to have an extensive phone discussion and an in person meeting to discuss the trip and your participation prior to making any formal plans or booking any flights.
- Parks & Wildlife Service entry pass.
- Airfares to and from Hobart and light plane flight to Melaleuca.
- Bus from end of track back to Hobart
- Hobart accommodation costs
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
- Contact Rick (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Putting your name on social media lists does NOT signal participation. Only an email and phone discussion will do it.
It is up to each participant to be fully prepared, on time and ready for this trip. We explore as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We watch out for eachother and we are focused on everyone having a safe and enjoyable trip.
South West Cape Circuit Trip Reports:
South Coast Track Trip Reports:
People planning to attend should study the Chapman books South West Tasmania and also South Coast Track together with a copy of the South Coast Walks map by TasMap.