A winter weekend hiking and camping at Wollangambe Crater in the northern tip of Blue Mountains National Park.
This adventure will suit well equipped, fit people who have been walking with their pack in preparation. With plenty of warm winter gear, we will hike 20 kilometres over 2 days and camp for one night. There is steep terrain, rock walls, pagodas and rocky outcrops to negotiate. We carry all supplies and equipment in our packs.
Meet at Bell Railway Station ready to depart on foot at 11:00am sharp. There is a train from Sydney scheduled to arrive at 10:49am. You can request with the train guard to stop at Bell. If travelling by car, park in Sandham Road and meet participants at the railway station. On Sunday afternoon, we return to Bell. There are no shops or supplies available at or around Bell.
See the links below for trip notes, pictures and maps of previous adventures to Wollangambe Crater. The area was devastated by bushfire in October 2013.
No camping or park use fees
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
- Be at Bell ready to depart at 11:00am sharp.
- Have all supplies and equipment in your backpack, including;
- Warm and waterproof clothing for winter mountain conditions
- Tent, sleeping mat and good sleeping bag
- Food for 2 days/1 night, cooking gear, utensils and fuel
- Water and water filtration/treatment equipment
- Supplies for making hot drinks
- Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent and a variety of clothing
- Map, compass, GPS, PLB, first aid, camera and all the stuff you usually take on a multi-day hike.
- Contact Rick to let him know that you will attend and discuss any concerns regarding fitness or equipment.
- Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
Saturday Night: Wollangambe Crater or nearby.
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, on time and ready to hike. We walk as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We watch out for eachother and are focused on everyone having a safe and enjoyable trip.
Bushwalking NSW: http://bushwalkingnsw.com/walk.php?nid=217
David Noble Blog: http://www.david-noble.net/blog/?p=1366
Fat Canyoners: http://fatcanyoners.org/2013/06/22/wollangambe-crater/
This event is planned for members of Hike Out, the friendly, diverse and inclusive community of outdoor enthusiasts where everyone is always welcome. Find out more at http://www.hikeout.org
2. Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/events/693212814083416/
3. Meetup.com - http://www.meetup.com/hikeout/events/192335532/