A night trip, hiking to Lockley’s Pylon in the Blue Mountains and experiencing this stunning landscape lit by the full moon.
This adventure will suit people who have prepared by doing some distance walking and remembered their lighting, warm clothes and snacks in a day pack. We hike a total of 7 kilometres out-and-back to Lockley’s Pylon. There is a full moon on Saturday 12th July at 9:25pm.
Meet the group in Leura village on Saturday afternoon. We'll enjoy a snack or early meal before leaving at 5pm and car-pooling to the start of the hike along well maintained dirt roads. The hike will take a minimum of 4 hours to complete, longer if we find ourselves captivated by this special moonlit environment. The earliest we will return to our cars is 10pm. For safety, we will all agree to stay together during our hike.
See the links below for further information about the Lockley’s Pylon hike and safety tips for night hiking.
No park use fees.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
- Be in Leura ready to depart at 5pm on Saturday evening
- Have a good quality, bright head torch with fresh new batteries
- Wear a selection of toasty warm clothing
- Wear good sturdy hiking boots with ankle protection that are worn in and comfortable
- Bring a light day-pack loaded with:
- Spare warm clothing, beanie, gloves etc for when we stop hiking.
- A spare backup torch with fresh batteries.
- Plenty of fresh drinking water
- Supplies for making hot drinks, hot chocolate, tea bags, milk, drinking mug, spoon - We will be able to boil our drinking water at Lockley’s Pylon.
- Contact Rick to let him know that you will attend and discuss any concerns regarding fitness or equipment.
- Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
It is up to each of us to be fully prepared for the hike. We walk as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity.
Wildwalks - Lockley's Pylon:
Safe Night Hiking Tips: http://www.theclymb.com/stories/passions/hike/7-tips-for-a-safe-night-hike/