Join a snow hiking and pack camping trip in Kosciuszko National Park.
Suiting sturdy, experienced and well equipped winter hikers, this involves hiking on snowshoes or cross-country skis and carrying all supplies in our packs. We'll put in a good hike of at least 30klm and camp on the snow in tents for 2 nights.
We'll choose a route when we know who will participate and what level of experience and preparation is available among us.
On previous trips we've been to Cascade Hut and also explored the Munyang valley from Guthega Power Station. This year there's interest to explore the main range and summit Mt Kosciuszko if weather permits.
WHAT IS ESSENTIAL?
- Stamina and physical fitness
- All of the correct gear
- Acceptance of the potential risks involved
- Willingness to discuss the trip and to satisfy others of your abilities and preparedness.
* AUG 28 - Thursday - Travel to Kosciuszko and car-camp overnight in a NPWS campground.
* AUG 29 - Friday - Early departure on snowshoes or cross country skis. Pack camp overnight on snow.
* AUG 30 - Saturday - Continue the hike camping overnight on snow.
* AUG 31 - Sunday - Continue hike to finish returning to car-based camping overnight
* SEP 1 - Monday - Drive home.
Any trip plan will guarantee camping on snow, and will require a sturdy, good-quality 4-season tent which must be carried regardless of any thoughts about hut accommodation. Any huts, if indeed reached, may already be occupied, or may be otherwise unsuitable for overnight accommodation. See a list of other essential gear below, all of which needs to be organised.
The Australian Alps can be a very dangerous environment, and this is not a trip to join if you are under-prepared or your gear is inappropriate. It is preferable to discover this beforehand, rather than when it creates a life-threatening situation due to insufficient shelter, warmth, or waterproofing in adverse conditions.
GEAR (each trip participant)
- Snowshoes or Cross-country Skis (good quality)
- Walking Boots (good quality, worn-in, and waterproofed)
- Hiking Poles
- Eye and Face protection (goggles/sunglasses)
- Hiking Pack (at least 70 litre)
- Waterproof jacket (Goretex, or other seam-sealed, non-lined equivalent)
- Waterproof overpants (Goretex, or other seam-sealed, non-lined equivalent)
- Thermals (polypropylene or Icebreaker only - NO COTTON)
- Sleeping Bag (rated to at least -10)
- Thermarest Sleeping Mat
- Water bottles/backpack bladder (full at start)
GEAR (Each trip participant or shared with other participants)
- 4 season hiking tent (sufficient size for number of occupants)
WHAT'S ALREADY ORGANISED?
- PLB emergency location beacon
- GPS with track route options programmed to assist navigation in difficult conditions
Most primary gear is available for hire in Cooma or Jindabyne
It's compulsory to carry snow chains in 2wd vehicles in parts of Kosciuszko National Park.
* NPWS Kosciuszko http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/kosciuszko-national-park
* Gear Hire - Cooma http://www.rhythm.net.au/
* Gear Hire - Jindabyne http://www.paddypallin.com.au/jindabyne