Celebrate spring with a walk in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, including lunch break at Apple Tree Bay.
This hike will suit people with moderate to good fitness, who have some previous bushwalking experience and have done some distance walking in preparation. We hike a total of 11 kilometres around Cowan Creek with lunch at Apple Tree Bay. The day will include some steep climbs and descents on roughly formed walking track and rocky steps. We start and finish with the convenience of train stations so that everyone can join the fun!
This event will NOT suit people brand new to bushwalking or those who have not walked similar distance previously. If that sounds like you, please keep an eye out for our day in Lane Cove National Park to be announced soon.
Meet your Hike Out friends on the grass lawn directly outside Berowra Train Station ready to depart on foot at 9:40am sharp. We hike 7klm along the Berowra Track to Apple Tree Bay to enjoy lunch by the water before climbing 4klm on Mt Kuring-gai track to finish the day at Mt Kuring-gai Train Station in the afternoon.
See the links below for map and further information.
No park use fees for hikers
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
- Be at Berowra Train Station ready to depart on foot at 9:40am sharp
- Wear clothing appropriate for the day’s weather forecast.
- Wear hiking boots or trail shoes that are worn in and comfortable and NOT brand new!
- Consider using hiking poles
- Bring a day-pack loaded with:
- Selection of spare clothing, warm jacket etc.
- Plenty of fresh drinking water
- Lunch supplies and trail snacks
- Hat, sunscreen, rain poncho
- First aid, camera, medications and any other items you usually take on hiking days.
- Contact Rick to let him know that you will attend and discuss any concerns regarding fitness or equipment.
- Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, on time and ready to hike. We walk as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We watch out for eachother and are focused on everyone having a safe and enjoyable day.
There is a kiosk/cafe at Apple Tree Flat which is usually open on weekends and offers hot and cold drinks, ice creams and some hot food.
Map of planned route: https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zaTNRSx1UXBA.ktk1UGBXAXz4
Wildwalks (includes most of our route): http://www.wildwalks.com/bushwalking-and-hiking-in-nsw/ku-ring-gai-chase-national-park/berowra-to-mt-kuring-gai.html
Learn more about Hike Out, the friendly, inclusive online community of outdoor enthusiasts at http://www.hikeout.org/