Hiking and pack camping in Kanangra-Boyd National Park on the Australia Day long weekend.
This adventure will suit fit people who have been walking with their pack in preparation. You need good equipment and previous experience to undertake a 3 day hike in remote and challenging terrain. Consider the walk HARD and understand that it involves steep ascents and descents, scrambling and climbing, off-track navigation, wading in creeks and rivers and pressing through thick scrub. We’ll camp at basic riverside camping clearings and carry all supplies in our packs, including drinking water for the potentially hot and arduous conditions.
Allow for a distance of about 30 kilometers as we spend 3 days and 2 nights exploring around Kanangra Walls, Cottage Rock, Cambage Spire, Christys Creek and the beautiful and wild Kowmung River at Bulga Denis Canyon and Orange Bluff.
Meet at Kanangra Walls car park on Saturday morning for an early start with packs. Consider travelling on Friday afternoon or evening and staying at Boyd River campground ready for the early Saturday start. We'll return to our vehicles on Monday in the afternoon or early evening.
See this google map for location and travel details.
To participate, send an email to Rick. This trip is strictly limited to 8 people. Expect to have a phone discussion with Rick about fitness, equipment and experience prior to joining the hike. Putting your name on a list on social media does NOT confirm attendance!
See the links below for further information about this walk.
- Vehicle - $7.00 vehicle/day (or annual NPWS pass)
- No camping fees
PLANNED CAMPING LOCATIONS:
- Friday: Boyd River campground (basic NPWS facilities)
- Saturday: Kowmung River - near Arabanoo/Christys Creeks (remote with no facilities)
- Sunday: Kowmung River - near Orange Bluff (remote with no facilities)
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
- Follow the instructions on how to reserve your spot. Email only.
- Be at the car park at Kanangra Walls ready to depart on foot early Saturday morning.
- Consider camping overnight Friday at Boyd River camping area
- Have all supplies and equipment in your backpack, including;
- Warm and waterproof clothing
- Tent, sleeping mat and good sleeping bag
- Food for 3 days/2 nights, cooking gear, utensils and fuel
- Drinking water and water filtration/treatment equipment
- Supplies for making hot drinks
- Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent and a variety of clothing
- Map, compass, GPS, PLB, first aid, camera, rope and carabiner and all the equipment and supplies that you usually take on a remote hike of this nature.
- Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, on time and ready to hike. We walk as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We watch out for eachother and we are focused on having a safe and enjoyable trip.
- NPWS Kanangra-Boyd National Park
- Bushwalking NSW - Hike Description
- Dave Noble trip report
- Video footage from previous trip