Let’s merge some great Illawarra Escarpment walks and make a full day exploring the Wollongong hinterland.
This day will suit people with good fitness and recent long walk experience. We hike 14 kilometres in the Illawarra Escarpment SCA, with a lunch break along the way. The day will include some very steep climbs and descents on roughly formed walking track and steep metal ladders. We start and finish at railway stations in northern Wollongong.
This event will NOT suit people brand new to bushwalking or those who have not walked a similar 14km distance recently. Please consider this walk HARD. Jelly legs are pretty much guaranteed by the end of the day.
Meet your Hike Out friends at Coalcliff Railway Station ready to depart on foot at 10:00am sharp. We hike 14klm along Wodi Wodi, Forest Walk and Sublime Point walking tracks and descend the escarpment arriving at Austinmer Station in the afternoon.
No park use fees
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
- Be at Coalcliff Station ready to depart on foot at 10:00am sharp. The 8:29am Central train arrives at Coalcliff at 9:40am. In the afternoon, a train leaves Austinmer toward Sydney at 4:55pm
- Wear clothing appropriate for the day’s weather forecast.
- Wear hiking boots or trail shoes that are worn in and comfortable and NOT brand new!
- Consider using hiking poles
- Bring a day-pack loaded with:
- Selection of spare clothing, warm jacket etc.
- Plenty of fresh drinking water (minimum 2 litres)
- Lunch supplies and trail snacks
- Hat, sunscreen, rain poncho
- First aid, camera, medications and any other items you usually take on hiking days.
- Contact Rick (email@example.com) to let him know that you will attend and discuss any concerns regarding fitness or equipment. Mention any existing medical conditions like asthma, allergies or diabetes before the day.
- Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, on time and ready to hike. We walk as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We watch out for each other and we are focused on everyone having a safe and enjoyable day.