Experience spring wildflowers, scenic views and Aboriginal heritage during a full day guided walk in Muogamarra Nature Reserve.
This day will suit people with good fitness and recent walking experience. Surrounded by spring wildflowers and with our friendly, knowledgeable guide, we hike 10 kilometres, enjoying a lunch break along the way. The day will include some solid climbs and descents on roughly formed walking track.
We’ll investigate the geological features of Peats Bight, including Hawkesbury sandstone and impressive volcanic pipes filled with solidified magma. Our guide will lead us down Peats Ferry Road over historic road works into Peats Crater, and continue through lush rainforest and mangrove environments on the northern outskirts of Sydney.
Muogamarra Nature Reserve is open to the public on just a handful of weekends each year. The reserve is closed at other times to protect sensitive natural and cultural heritage values.
This day will NOT suit people new to hiking, or those who have not been doing some good long walks in preparation. Please consider this walk medium difficulty.
Meet your Hike Out friends at the registration desk in Muogamarra Nature Reserve, ready to leave on foot at 9:15am. The park entrance turn-off is 3km north of Cowan train station. See this map for location details: https://goo.gl/XqCQZB
See the links below for more information and contact Rick to ask questions and discuss fitness and equipment.
$15.00 each participant. Includes;
• $10.00 NPWS Discovery activity fee
• $4.31 donation to Hike Out
• $0.69 Paypal fee
• Insurance or public liability cover
• Travel costs
• Snacks, lunch and incidental costs
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Check that you have the required fitness and equipment and can get to Muogamarra Nature Reserve.
• Contact Rick (email@example.com) to discuss fitness or equipment. Mention any existing medical conditions like asthma, allergies or diabetes before the day.
• Make payment of $15.00
- by Paypal https://www.paypal.com to firstname.lastname@example.org
- by EFT. Bank details on request
• Be at at the meeting location ready to depart on foot at 9:15am sharp.
• Wear clothing appropriate for the day’s weather forecast.
• Wear hiking boots or trail shoes that are worn in and comfortable and NOT brand new!
• Consider using hiking poles
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to return
• Bring a day-pack loaded with:
- Selection of spare clothing, warm jacket etc.
- Plenty of fresh drinking water (minimum 2 litres)
- Lunch supplies and trail snacks
- Hat, sunscreen, rain poncho
- First aid, camera, medications and any other items you usually take on hiking days.
It is up to each participant to be fully prepared, fit and on time for the hike. We walk as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We understand that there is no insurance cover provided.
1. NPWS Muogamarra Nature Reserve:
2. NPWS - Peats Bight Walk:
3. More Info - Peats Bight Walk
Event Photo: Waratah by Chris Belyea