Hiking, climbing and camping at Pantoneys Crown in Gardens of Stone National Park.
Suitable for fit people with recent experience at challenging hikes. You need good hiking and camping gear, and to feel comfortable with heights and exposure during steep climbs. Consider the walk HARD because there are VERY steep, exposed ascents and descents, scrambling and climbing and pressing through slots and cracks. We also need to haul packs with rope and navigate off-track.
Pantoneys Crown is a wonderful mesa in the Capertee Valley. Plan for a total hiking distance around 30 kilometres, camping Saturday night on Pantoneys Crown and returning to our vehicles on Sunday afternoon. We carry all supplies in our packs, including plenty of drinking water which may not be available anywhere along our route.
This route is not suitable in warm weather. The trip may need to be modified or postponed in the case of warm temperatures.
You need a 4-wheel drive, or to organise a seat in a 4-wheel drive, to reach the start of this hike. Meet at the Outback Cafe in Lithgow (126A Main St, Lithgow - Phone: 0421022207) ready to leave in 4-wheel drives at 8:30am sharp. See this map for key waypoints and travel directions: https://goo.gl/3tjiKI
To participate, send an email to Rick (email@example.com). Check on availability and have a discussion about fitness, experience, equipment and your 4 wheel drive prior to joining the hike. Note that putting your name on a list on Facebook or Meetup does NOT confirm attendance! Email only. Event numbers are limited.
See trip reports and images in the links below to get a clear understanding of the kind of terrain and difficulty of the landscape we will explore.
IMPORTANT: Bring plenty of drinking water. There may be no ground water to collect throughout our hike. Leave spare water in vehicles for when we return Sunday afternoon.
• No camping or park use fees
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Follow the instructions to reserve your spot. Email only.
• Be at Lithgow ready to depart in 4-wheel drives at 8:30am sharp.
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
• Have all supplies and equipment in your backpack, including;
- Plenty of fresh drinking water
- Warm and waterproof clothing
- Tent, sleeping mat and good sleeping bag
- Food for 2 days/1 night, cooking gear, utensils and fuel
- Supplies for making hot drinks
- Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent and a variety of clothing
- Map, compass, GPS, PLB, first aid, camera, and all the equipment and supplies that you usually take on a remote hike of this nature.
PLANNED CAMPING LOCATIONS:
Saturday: Pantoneys Crown
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, fit and on time for this adventure. We explore as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We understand that there is no insurance cover provided.
1. Pantoneys Crown trip report:
2. Dave Noble - Pantoneys Crown trip report:
3. Andrew Smith - Pantoneys Crown notated photo journal:
4. NPWS Gardens of Stone National Park:
Event photo by Gary Hayes http://garyphayes.com/photography/