A day picking apples, learning about native bushland and hiking to Mt Banks and along the Grose Valley escarpment.
This day will suit people with reasonable fitness and some recent walking experience. The walk totals 10 kilometres, conducted at different locations across the day, meeting initially at Pine Crest Orchard, Bilpin.
We'll pick some fruit right from the trees. I hear Gala apples are abundant and there may also be some tasty pears and plums too.
At 11am, we’ll join environmentalist Ross Ingram for a tour of the property’s substantial bushland and native plants. Over an hour, we’ll learn about plant communities that have developed on different soils and environments and how human activities impact natural areas.
We’ll continue in cars along Bells Line Of Road past Blue Mountains Botanic Gardens and enjoy a lunch break at Mount Banks Picnic Area before tackling the 2.5 km Mount Banks Summit Walk, for some of the best scenic views in the Greater Blue Mountains World Heritage Area.
For those still standing, we’ll head to Pierces Pass and walk out to Rigby Hill on the steep escarpment, with stunning views into the Grose Valley all the way to the Grose River flowing far below.
After all that activity, you’ll have earned a cold beer back at Richmond before heading home with your fresh Bilpin fruit.
The Hike Out crew at Pine Crest Orchard in Bilpin, ready to start on foot at 9:45am. Arrange full cars of friendly participants.
Alternatively, make arrangements to be collected at Richmond Train Station from the train arriving at 7:58am. Join Rick for breakfast at theUgly Mug Coffee House before travelling to meet the group at Bilpin.
See the links for more information and contact Rick to check availability and ask questions. Putting your name on a list on social media does NOT confirm attendance! Event numbers are limited.
$30.00 each participant. Includes;
• $25.00 Bilpin Bush Tour
• $3.92 Donation to Hike Out
• $1.08 Paypal fee
• Payment for picked fruit - Apples are $4 kilo
• Insurance or public liability cover
• Travel costs
• Snacks, lunch and incidental costs
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Check that you have the required fitness and equipment and can get to Bilpin.
• Contact Rick (firstname.lastname@example.org) to check on availability and to discuss fitness or equipment. Mention existing medical conditions like asthma, allergies or diabetes before the day.
• If space is available, make payment of $30.00
- by Paypal https://www.paypal.com/ to email@example.com
- by EFT. Bank details on request
• Be at at the meeting location ready to start at 9:45am sharp.
• Wear clothing appropriate for the day’s weather forecast.
• Wear worn in and comfortable footwear that is NOT brand new!
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to return.
• Bring a daypack loaded with:
- Selection of spare clothing, warm jacket etc.
- Plenty of fresh drinking water (minimum 2 litres) each person
- Lunch supplies and trail snacks
- Hat, sunscreen, rain poncho
- First aid, camera, medications and any other items you usually take on hiking days.
It is up to each participant to be fully prepared, fit and on time for the hike. We walk as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We understand there is no insurance cover provided.
1. Pine Crest Orchard
2. Hawkesbury Harvest
3. NPWS - Mt Banks Summit Walk
4. Bushwalking NSW - Rigby Hill Walk
This event is planned for members of Hike Out, the friendly, diverse and inclusive community of outdoor enthusiasts where everyone is always welcome. Find out more at http://www.hikeout.org/