A weekend exploring along the Wolgan River toward Rocky Creek in Wollemi National Park.
This adventure will suit fit people with recent experience at lengthy walks carrying pack weight. Consider the walk medium difficulty and plan for a total distance of about 25 kilometres.
The Wolgan Valley is an impressive gorge, rimmed by massive cliffs for nearly 30km distance. Along the route, we pass historic oil shale mining ruins and the old Luchetti farm, camping Saturday near the junction of Wolgan River and Rocky Creek. We carry all supplies in our packs, including plenty of drinking water and return to Newnes on Sunday afternoon.
Meet at the old Newnes Hotel ready to depart on foot Saturday at 9:00am sharp. Consider travelling Friday evening and camping at the grassy national park campground at Newnes. There are pit toilets, but no shops or other services at the meeting location. The final section of Wolgan Road is well maintained gravel. There is no public transport, so organise a seat in someone’s car. See this map for directions: https://goo.gl/IfrU36
To participate, send an email to Rick (firstname.lastname@example.org). Have a discussion about fitness, experience and equipment prior to joining the hike, particularly if you have not been on Hike Out trips. Putting your name on a list on social media does NOT confirm attendance! Event numbers are limited.
See links for more info about the hike and Wolgan Valley.
• No camping or park use fees
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Follow the instructions to reserve your spot. Email only.
• Be at Newnes Hotel ready to depart on foot at 9:00am sharp.
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
• Have all supplies and equipment in your backpack, including;
- Warm and waterproof clothing
- Tent, sleeping mat and good sleeping bag
- Food for 2 days/1 night, cooking gear, utensils and fuel
- Drinking water and water filtration/treatment equipment
- Supplies for making hot drinks
- Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent and a variety of clothing
- Map, compass, GPS, PLB, first aid, camera, and all the equipment and supplies that you usually take on a remote hike of this nature.
PLANNED CAMPING LOCATIONS:
Friday: Newnes NPWS campground
Saturday: Camping clearing near Wolgan River and Rocky Creek.
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, fit and on time for this adventure. We explore as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We understand that there is no insurance cover provided.
1. Bushwalking NSW - Newnes to Rock Creek
2. NPWS - Wollemi National Park:
3. NPWS Newnes Campground:
This event is planned for members of Hike Out, the friendly, diverse and inclusive community of outdoor enthusiasts where everyone is always welcome. Find out more at http://www.hikeout.org/