Hiking and pack camping from Kanangra Walls to Katoomba in the Southern Blue Mountains.
This adventure will suit fit people who have done recent long distance and challenging hikes. You need good hiking and camping gear to join this 3-day, 45klm traverse of two national parks. Consider the walk HARD because there are very steep ascents and descents, scrambling and climbing, pressing through thick scrub and water crossings. The group must navigate competently with no signs and vague tracks in many spots.
The walk takes in some great scenery, including excellent views from Narrow Neck and Kanangra Walls plateaus. Plan for a total hiking distance of about 45 kilometres, camping friday evening at Boyd River campground near the walk start. We’ll leave on foot early Saturday, hiking for three days and pack camping two nights, arriving in Katoomba on Monday afternoon. We carry all supplies in our packs, including plenty of drinking water which may not be readily available along sections of our route.
Each person must arrange to be at the hike start at Kanangra Walls ready to depart on foot at 10:00am Saturday morning. Blue Mountains Taxis will take up to 4 people from Katoomba to Kanangra Walls for a fixed cost of $270.00. Phone (02) 47821311
To participate, send an email to Rick (firstname.lastname@example.org). Have a discussion about fitness, experience, equipment and car shuffle arrangements prior to joining the hike. Putting your name on a list on social media does NOT confirm attendance! Event numbers are limited.
See links below to learn about the hike and difficulty of the landscape we will explore.
• No camping or park use fees
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Follow instructions to reserve your spot. Email only.
• Make arrangements with Blue Mountains Taxis or similar to be at Kanagra Walls ready to depart at 10:00am Saturday.
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
• Have all supplies and equipment in your backpack, including;
- Warm and waterproof clothing
- Tent, sleeping mat and good sleeping bag
- Food for 3 days/2 nights, cooking gear, utensils and fuel
- Drinking water and water filtration/treatment equipment
- Supplies for making hot drinks
- Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent and a variety of clothing
- Map, compass, GPS, PLB, first aid, camera, and all the equipment and supplies that you usually take on a remote hike of this nature.
PLANNED CAMPING LOCATIONS:
Friday: Boyd River NPWS campground (near walk start)
Saturday: Kanangra-Boyd NP - possibly near Dex Creek
Sunday: Blue Mountains NP - possibly near Mobbs Swamp or Splendour Rock
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, fit and on time for this adventure. We explore as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We understand that there is no insurance cover provided.
1. Bushwalking NSW - Kanangra to Katoomba:
2. Trip Report A - Kanangra to Katoomba (4 pages)
3. Trip Report B - Kanangra to Katoomba
4. NPWS - Kanangra-Boyd National Park:
5. NPWS - Blue Mountains National Park