Hiking, climbing and camping at Pantoneys Crown in Gardens of Stone National Park.
Rug up for this late May adventure, suitable for fit people with recent experience at challenging hikes. You need good hiking and camping gear, and to feel comfortable with heights and exposure during steep climbs. Consider the walk HARD because there are VERY steep, exposed ascents and descents, scrambling and climbing, pressing through slots and cracks and off-track navigating.
Pantoneys Crown is a wonderful mesa in the Capertee Valley. Plan for a total hiking distance of 30 kilometres, camping Saturday night on Pantoneys Crown and returning to our vehicles on Sunday afternoon. We carry all supplies in our packs, including plenty of drinking water which may not be available anywhere along our route.
You need a 4-wheel drive, or to organise a seat in a 4-wheel drive, to reach the start of this hike. Meet the group at the service station at Lidsdale (Corner Castlereagh Highway and Wolgan Road) ready to leave in 4-wheel drives at 8:00am sharp. See this map for key waypoints and travel directions: https://goo.gl/3tjiKI
To participate, send an email to Rick (firstname.lastname@example.org). Have a discussion about fitness, experience and equipment prior to joining the hike, particularly if you have not been on Hike Out trips. Putting your name on a list on social media does NOT confirm attendance! Event numbers are limited.
See trip reports and images in the links below to get a clear understanding of the kind of terrain and difficulty of the landscape we will explore.
IMPORTANT: Bring plenty of drinking water. We will cache 2 litres each person enroute to Pantoneys Crown for retrieval during our return walk.
• No camping or park use fees
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Follow the instructions to reserve your spot. Email only.
• Be at Lidsdale ready to depart in 4-wheel drives at 8:00am sharp.
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
• Have all supplies and equipment in your backpack, including;
- Plenty of fresh drinking water
- Warm and waterproof clothing
- Tent, sleeping mat and good sleeping bag
- Food for 2 days/1 night, cooking gear, utensils and fuel
- Supplies for making hot drinks
- Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent and a variety of clothing
- Map, compass, GPS, PLB, first aid, camera, and all the equipment and supplies that you usually take on a remote hike of this nature.
PLANNED CAMPING LOCATIONS:
Saturday: Pantoneys Crown
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, fit and on time for this adventure. We explore as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We understand that there is no insurance cover provided.
1. Pantoneys Crown trip report:
2. Dave Noble - Pantoneys Crown trip report:
3. Andrew Smith - Pantoneys Crown notated photo journal:
4. NPWS Gardens of Stone National Park:
Event photo by Gary Hayes http://garyphayes.com/photography/
This event is planned for members of Hike Out, the friendly, diverse and inclusive community of outdoor enthusiasts where everyone is always welcome. Find out more at http://www.hikeout.org/