Make a 4 day long weekend and explore the Budawangs in Morton National Park on the NSW south coast.
This adventure is suitable for fit people with recent experience at challenging hikes. You need good equipment and recent experience to undertake a 4 day remote hike in challenging terrain. Consider the walk HARD and understand that it involves very steep ascents and descents, scrambling and climbing, off-track navigation, pressing through scrub and camping in overhangs and undeveloped clearings.
The reward will be spending time in majestic locations, enjoying views that will take your breath away and creating memories sure to stay with you long after the hike is complete. Allow a total hiking distance around 50 kilometers.
Before anything else, arrange to participate in the car shuffle. We leave on foot Friday morning at Wog Wog in the west and explore east to finish Monday afternoon at Long Gully. Prior to setting off, we must leave vehicles at Long Gully and travel in other vehicles 160 kilometres to Wog Wog. (we may do this Thursday evening). At the end of the hike, we return to Wog Wog and deliver people to their cars.
Over 4 days and 3 nights, we’ll experience many remote Budawang gems and mountain top vistas. Expect to visit Corang Peak and Corang Arch, Mt Cole and Mt Owen, Monolith Valley and The Castle.
To participate, send an email to Rick (firstname.lastname@example.org). Arrange to participate in the car shuffle and have a discussion about fitness, experience and equipment. Putting your name on a list on social media does NOT confirm attendance! Event numbers are limited.
After reading this description, follow the links for further information, trip notes and pictures of previous adventures in the Budawangs.
• No camping or park use fees
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Have all of Friday 10 June and Monday 13 June free and clear
• Follow instructions to reserve your spot. Email only.
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
• Have all supplies and equipment in your backpack, including:
- Plenty of warm and waterproof clothing
- Tent, sleeping mat and good sleeping bag
- Bivy or tarp for overhang campsites
- Food for 4 days/3 nights, cooking gear, utensils and fuel
- Water and water filtration/treatment equipment
- Supplies for making hot drinks
- Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent and a variety of clothing
- Map, compass, GPS, PLB, first aid, camera, rope and carabiner and all equipment and supplies that you usually take on a major hike of this nature.
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, on time and ready to hike. We walk as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We watch out for eachother and we are focused on having a safe and enjoyable trip. We understand that no insurance cover is provided.
1. NPWS Morton National Park:
2. Hike Out Budawang Trip - October 2014
3. Bushwalking NSW:
4. Notated photo journal
5. Trip Report A
6. Trip Report B