Experience spring wildflowers, panoramic views, history and heritage on a full day guided walk in Muogamarra Nature Reserve.
This day will suit people with good fitness and recent walking experience. Surrounded by spring wildflowers, we hike 10 kilometres with our friendly NPWS guide, enjoying a lunch break along the way. The day will include some steep ascents and descents on roughly formed walking track.
We’ll investigate the geological features of Peats Bight, including Hawkesbury sandstone and impressive volcanic pipes filled with solidified magma. Our guide will lead us down Peats Ferry Road, over historic road works into Peats Crater, and continue through lush rainforest and mangrove environments to the Hawkesbury River.
Muogamarra Nature Reserve is open to the public just six weekends each year. Popular for the abundant floral wildflowers in spring, the reserve is closed at other times to protect sensitive natural and cultural heritage.
This day is NOT suitable for people new to hiking, or those who have not been doing some good long walks in preparation. Please consider this walk medium difficulty.
Meet your Hike Out friends at the registration desk in Muogamarra Nature Reserve, ready to leave on foot at 9:15am. The park entrance turn-off is 3klm north of Cowan train station. See this map for location details: https://goo.gl/XqCQZB
If you plan to travel by train to Cowan, arrange a lift from the station to Muogamarra Nature Reserve before finalising your spot. If you will drive, offer lifts to other friendly participants and reduce congestion and parking problems at the reserve.
See the links below for more information and contact Rick to ask questions and discuss fitness and equipment.
$16.00 each participant. Includes;
• $10.00 NPWS Discovery activity fee
• $5.28 donation to Hike Out
• $0.72 Paypal fee
• Insurance or public liability cover
• Travel costs
• Snacks, lunch and incidental costs
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Check that you have the required fitness and equipment and can get to Muogamarra Nature Reserve.
• Contact Rick (email@example.com) to discuss fitness or equipment. Mention any existing medical conditions like asthma, allergies or diabetes before the day.
• Make payment of $16.00
- by Paypal https://www.paypal.com to firstname.lastname@example.org
- by EFT. Bank details on request
• Be at at the meeting location ready to depart on foot at 9:15am sharp.
• Wear clothing appropriate for the day’s weather forecast.
• Wear hiking boots or trail shoes that are worn in and comfortable and NOT brand new!
• Consider using hiking poles
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to return
• Bring a daypack loaded with:
- Selection of spare clothing, warm jacket, etc
- Plenty of fresh drinking water (minimum 2 litres)
- Lunch supplies and trail snacks
- Hat, sunscreen, rain poncho
- First aid, camera, medications and any other items you usually take on hiking days.
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, fit and on time for the hike. We walk as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity and understand that no insurance cover is provided.
1. NPWS Muogamarra Nature Reserve:
2. NPWS - Peats Bight Walk:
3. More Info - Peats Bight Walk