Explore the Red Rocks high above Capertee Valley, camping near Mount Dawson.
A pack camping adventure for fit people with quality gear and recent hiking experience. You should feel relaxed with heights and some climbing exposure. The area is a maze of cliffs, pagodas, canyons and slots with panoramic views.
Consider this walk HARD because we climb onto then traverse the heavily dissected plateau, including steep ascents and descents, scrambling, pressing through gaps and off-track navigating.
Plan for a total distance about 20 kilometres, camping Saturday on the plateau and returning to vehicles Sunday afternoon. We carry all supplies in our packs, including plenty of drinking water which may not be available on the high plateau.
Meet at the old Newnes Hotel ready to depart on foot Saturday morning at 8:00am. Consider travelling Friday evening to enjoy the full moon and camp overnight at the grassy national park campground. There are pit toilets, but no shops or other services at the meeting location. The final section of Wolgan Road is unsealed. There is no public transport to Newnes, so organise a seat in someone’s car. See this map for directions: https://goo.gl/Gxkthq
To participate, send an email to Rick (firstname.lastname@example.org). Have a discussion about fitness, experience and equipment, particularly if you have not been on Hike Out trips. Putting your name on a social media list does NOT confirm attendance! Event numbers are limited.
Read the complete event details then follow links to further information.
• No camping or park use fees
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Follow the instructions to reserve your spot. Email only.
• Be at Newnes Hotel ready to depart on foot at 8:00am sharp.
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
• Have all supplies and equipment in your backpack, including;
- Warm and waterproof clothing
- Tent, sleeping mat and good sleeping bag
- Food for 2 days/1 night, cooking gear, utensils and fuel
- Drinking water and water treatment equipment
- Supplies for making hot drinks
- Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent and a variety of clothing
- Map, compass, GPS, PLB, first aid, camera, and all the equipment and supplies that you usually take on a remote hike of this nature.
PLANNED CAMPING LOCATIONS:
Friday: Newnes NPWS campground (optional)
Saturday: Camping cave near Mt Dawson
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, fit and on time for this adventure. We explore as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We understand that no insurance cover provided.
1. Tom Brennan - Red Rocks Trip Report:
2. Dave Noble - Red Rocks Trip Report:
3. Andrew Smith - Red Rocks Notated Photo Journal:
4. NPWS Newnes Campground: