Hiking and pack camping in rugged Kanangra-Boyd National Park on a custom-built Australia Day long weekend.
This adventure will suit fit people who have been walking with their pack in preparation. You need good equipment and previous experience to undertake a 4 day hike in remote and challenging terrain. Consider the walk HARD and understand that it involves very steep ascents and descents, scrambling and climbing, off-track navigation, wading in creeks and rivers and pressing through thick scrub. We’ll camp at basic riverside clearings and carry all supplies in our packs, including plenty of drinking water for the potentially hot and arduous conditions.
Allow for a distance around 30 to 40 kilometers as we spend 4 days and 3 nights exploring Kanangra Walls, Cottage Rock, Cambage Spire, Christys Creek and the beautiful and wild Kowmung River along the Bulga Denis Canyon section to Orange Bluff and beyond.
Meet at Kanangra Walls car park on Thursday morning ready to depart with packs. We'll return to our vehicles on Sunday in the afternoon or early evening.
See this google map for location and travel details: http://goo.gl/RjBCMo
To participate, send an email to Rick (firstname.lastname@example.org). Expect to have a discussion about fitness, equipment and experience prior to joining the hike. Putting your name on a list on social media does NOT confirm attendance! Numbers limited.
See the links below for further information about this plan.
• Vehicle - $8.00 vehicle/day (or annual NPWS pass)
• No camping fees
PLANNED CAMPING LOCATIONS:
Thursday, Friday and Saturday: Kowmung River between Christys and Reillys creeks (all remote sites with no facilities)
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Follow the instructions on how to reserve your spot. Email only.
• Be at the car park at Kanangra Walls ready to depart on foot by 10:00am Thursday morning.
• Consider camping overnight Wednesday at nearby Boyd River camping area
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
• Have all supplies and equipment in your backpack, including;
- Warm and waterproof clothing
- Waterproof pack liner
- Tent, sleeping mat and good sleeping bag
- Food for 4 days/3 nights, cooking gear, utensils and fuel
- Drinking water and water filtration/treatment equipment
- Supplies for making hot drinks
- Towel and swimmers
- Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent and a variety of clothing
- Map, compass, GPS, PLB, first aid, camera, rope and carabiner and all the equipment and supplies that you usually take on a remote hike of this nature.
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, on time and ready to hike. We walk as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We watch out for each other and we are focused on having a safe and enjoyable trip.
1. NPWS Kanangra-Boyd National Park:
2. Bushwalking NSW:
3. Dave Noble:
4. Hike Out Trip Photos - January 2015