A full day exploring Twister and Rocky Creek canyons on the Newnes Plateau.
This adventure will suit fit, strong swimmers with recent hiking and scrambling experience. This full day around Rocky Creek will involve numerous jumps, climb-downs, slides and swims, although no abseils are involved. We access and exit canyons along undeveloped foot track, including some steep, exposed sections at entrance and exit points. All gear must be carried in waterproof packs.
Essential Canyon Gear:
Wetsuit - Preferably a steamer suit with long arms and legs.
Footwear - Comfortable, grippy shoes worn in the water for climbing and scrambling.
Backpack - Worn in the water. A special waterproof pack, or regular backpack containing sturdy dry-bags with your gear.
Meet at Clarence NSW in the car park of the old Zig Zag Railway, corner Chifley and Old Bells Line Of Road, ready to depart in vehicles at 8:30am sharp. We then travel in our vehicles several kilometres on unsealed road to the Rocky Creek area. There is no public transport to the meeting location, so offer a lift to people without a car. See map: https://goo.gl/maps/ZFUzYsvMnbt
Bring lunch supplies, snacks and plenty of fresh drinking water. We’ll stop for a lunch break along our route.
Read through the complete event details, then follow links to more information about the canyons. To participate, send an email to Rick (firstname.lastname@example.org) and note that putting your name on a social media list does not confirm attendance. Numbers are limited.
$10.00 each participant. Includes;
• $9.44 Donation to Hike Out
• $0.56 Paypal fee
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Check that you have the required fitness, swimming skills and equipment and can travel to Clarence by private vehicle.
• Contact Rick (email@example.com) by email to check availability, discuss fitness, equipment and to secure your spot.
• If space is available, make payment of $10.00
- by Paypal https://www.paypal.com to firstname.lastname@example.org
- by EFT. Bank details on request
• Mention existing medical conditions like asthma, allergies or diabetes before the day.
• Be at Clarence ready to depart at 8:30am sharp.
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
• Have all supplies and equipment in your waterproof backpack, including;
- Wetsuit - long arm and leg steamer suit
- Grippy shoes to be worn in the water
- Consider wearing a canyoning helmet
- Towel and a fresh change of clothes
- Lunch supplies, snacks and fruit.
- Fresh drinking water and water filtration/treatment equipment
- Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent, sunscreen
- Waterproof camera
- First aid kit, medications, map, compass, GPS, PLB, and all equipment and supplies that you usually take on a day trip of this nature.
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, fit and on time for this adventure. We explore as a group of friends accepting the personal risks involved with this activity. We understand that no insurance cover is provided.
1. OzUltimate - Twister Canyon
2. Immortal Outdoors - Twister Canyon
3. OzUltimate - Rocky Creek Canyon
4. Immortal Outdoors - Rocky Creek Canyon
5. OzUltimate - Canyoning safety
6. YouTube Video - Rocky Creek & Twister Canyon
Event photo by Andrew Smith: https://smiffyspics.smugmug.com/