Hiking and pack camping a rugged wilderness gorge within Morton National Park over Easter long weekend.
This adventure will suit fit people who have been walking with their pack in preparation. You need good equipment and recent experience to undertake a 4 day hike in remote and challenging terrain. Consider the walk HARD and understand that it involves very steep ascents and descents, scrambling and climbing, off-track navigation, wading in creeks and rivers and pressing through thick scrub. Because of the difficulty, this trip will suit people who have already enjoyed an overnight trip with Hike Out.
We’ll camp at basic riverside clearings and carry all supplies in our packs, including plenty of drinking water. Allow for a total distance around 30 kilometers, as we spend 4 days and 3 nights in the southern section of the gorge, between Bullfrog and Jones creeks.
Meet initially at the basic crown land clearing beside the sealed Braidwood Road, where it crosses the Endrick River, about 5 kilometres northeast of Nerriga. Be ready to depart in vehicles at 8:30am sharp on Friday morning. Consider travelling Thursday afternoon or evening and camping at this location for a more relaxed start on Friday morning.
We'll then depart in vehicles, passing our starting location at The Jumps on Tolwong Road, to leave some vehicles further along at Quiera Clearing, where we will return on foot Monday afternoon.
See this google map for location and travel details: https://goo.gl/RuroMh
To participate, send an email to Rick (firstname.lastname@example.org). Check availability and have a discussion about fitness, equipment and experience. Putting your name on a list on social media does NOT confirm attendance! Numbers limited.
See the links below for further information about Ettrema Gorge.
• No camping or vehicle fees
PLANNED CAMPING LOCATIONS:
• Thursday - Crown land clearing beside Braidwood Road where it crosses Endrick River.
• Friday, Saturday and Sunday: Remote bush clearings beside Ettrema Creek
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Read all event details
• Have already enjoyed an overnight trip with Hike Out
• Email email@example.com to check availability and discuss participation.
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
• Be at the crown land clearing beside Braidwood Road (described above), ready to depart at 8:30am sharp Friday morning.
• Consider camping Thursday night at the Braidwood Road location
• Have all supplies and equipment in your backpack, including;
- Warm and waterproof clothing
- Waterproof pack liner
- Extra footwear suitable to wear in the water when wading
- Tent, sleeping mat and good sleeping bag
- Food for 4 days/3 nights, cooking gear, utensils and fuel
- Drinking water and water filtration/treatment equipment
- Supplies for making hot drinks
- Towel and swimmers
- Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent and a variety of clothing
- Map, compass, GPS, PLB, first aid, camera, rope and carabiner and any equipment and supplies that you usually take on a remote and challenging hike of this nature.
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, on time and ready to hike. We walk as a group of friends, each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We watch out for each other and focus on everyone having a safe, enjoyable trip.
NPWS Morton National Park:
Event photo with kind permission of photographer Janette Asche: