Hiking and pack camping in the rugged wilderness of Kanangra-Boyd and Blue Mountains National Park, on a custom-made ANZAC long weekend.
This adventure will suit fit people who have been walking with their pack in preparation. You need good equipment and recent experience to undertake a 4 day hike in remote and challenging terrain. Consider the walk HARD and understand that it involves very steep ascents and descents, scrambling and climbing, off-track navigation, wading in creeks and rivers and pressing through thick scrub. Because of the difficulty, this trip will suit people who have already enjoyed an overnight trip with Hike Out.
We’ll camp at undeveloped clearings and carry all supplies in our packs, including plenty of drinking water. Allow for a total distance about 40 kilometers, as we spend 4 days and 3 nights in a large circuit walk.
Day 1 will follow the K2K route, from Kanangra Walls to Dex Creek, via Mt Cloudmaker.
On day 2, we’ll investigate Mt Moorilla and camp at Moorilla Lookout, where the views can be pretty stunning.
Day 3 will have us descending steeply to Kanangra Creek, camping near the Whalania Creek junction.
Day 4 will involve 1300 metres of climbing, including Mt Paralyser, then continuing along scrubby ridges to Mt Thurat, then King Pin Fire Trail to the junction with Kanangra Walls Road and our vehicles.
Meet initially at the NPWS Boyd River car campground on Kanangra Walls Road, ready to depart in vehicles Saturday morning at 8:00am sharp. Consider travelling on Friday afternoon or evening and camping at this location, ready for the early start.
We’ll depart in vehicles, leaving some at the walk finish near King Pin Firetrail, then travel to the start of the hike at Kanangra Walls carpark.
To participate, send an email to Rick (firstname.lastname@example.org). Check availability and have a discussion about fitness, equipment and experience. Putting your name on a list on social media does NOT confirm attendance! Numbers limited.
See the links below for further information about this area.
• No camping fees
• Vehicles - $8.00 per day (or annual NPWS pass)
PLANNED CAMPING LOCATIONS:
• Friday - Boyd River NPWS car campground
• Saturday - Dex Creek
• Sunday - Moorilla Lookout
• Monday - Whalania and Kanangra Creek junction
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Read all event details
• Have already enjoyed an overnight trip with Hike Out
• Email email@example.com to check availability and discuss participation.
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
• Be at Boyd River Campground, ready to depart at 8:00am sharp Saturday morning.
• Consider camping Friday night at Boyd River campground
• Have all supplies and equipment in your backpack, including;
- Warm and waterproof clothing
- Waterproof pack liner
- Extra footwear suitable to wear in the water when wading
- Tent, sleeping mat and good sleeping bag
- Food for 4 days/3 nights, cooking gear, utensils and fuel
- Drinking water and water filtration/treatment equipment
- Supplies for making hot drinks
- Towel and swimmers
- Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent and a variety of clothing
- Map, compass, GPS, PLB, first aid, camera, rope and carabiner and any equipment and supplies that you usually take on a remote and challenging hike of this nature.
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, on time and ready to hike. We walk as a group of friends, each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We watch out for each other and focus on everyone having a safe, enjoyable trip.
NPWS Boyd River Campground:
Bushwalking NSW - Kanangra to Katoomba
Lotsafreshair - The Three Peaks - The Lazy Way :
Smiffy’s Pics - Mt Moorilla hike - Photo journal
Event photo by David Lea: