A full day hiking in the Blue Mountains, starting at Katoomba and walking to the Ruined Castle rock feature and return.
This day will suit people with good fitness who have done distance walking in preparation. We hike a total of 14 kilometres in Blue Mountains National Park with lunch at the Ruined Castle. The day will include some steep climbs and descents on roughly formed walking track and long sections of steep rocky steps. We start and finish at the popular Scenic World tourist attraction.
This event will NOT suit people brand new to bushwalking or those who have not walked a similar 14km distance recently.
Meet your Hike Out friends at the main entrance to Scenic World ready to depart on foot at 10:00am sharp. We hike 7klm down Furber Steps and along the Federal Pass walking trail to climb the Ruined Castle where we’ll enjoy a lunch break before returning 7klm to finish the day back at Katoomba.
Read all of these event details, then follow the links to more information. Putting your name on a social media list does not confirm attendance. Follow the instructions to participate.
$5.00 each participant. Includes;
• $4.57 Donation to Hike Out
• $0.43 Paypal fee
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Check that you have the required fitness and equipment and can get to Katoomba.
• Contact Rick (email@example.com) to check on availability and discuss fitness and equipment. Mention existing medical conditions like asthma, allergies or diabetes before the day.
• If space is available, make payment of $5.00
- by Paypal https://www.paypal.com/ to firstname.lastname@example.org
- by EFT. Bank details on request
• Be at at the meeting location ready to start at 10:00am sharp.
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
• Wear clothing appropriate for the day’s weather forecast.
• Wear hiking boots or trail shoes that are worn in and comfortable and NOT brand new!
• Consider using hiking poles
• Bring a daypack loaded with:
- Selection of spare clothing, warm jacket etc.
- Plenty of fresh drinking water
- Lunch supplies and trail snacks
- Hat, sunscreen, rain poncho
- First aid, camera, medications and any other items you usually take on hiking days.
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, on time and ready to hike. We walk as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We watch out for eachother and we are focused on everyone having a safe and enjoyable day. We understand that no insurance cover is provided.
Furber Steps - http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/blue-mountains-national-park/furber-steps-scenic-railway-walking-track/walking
Trip Report starting at Furber Steps (14 klm):