Winter hiking, camping and exploring around Point Nicholson in the Red Rocks, high above the Capertee Valley.
This adventure will suit fit people with recent experience at challenging hikes. You need good hiking and camping equipment, and to feel comfortable with heights and some climbing exposure. Consider the walk HARD because we climb onto, then traverse this heavily dissected plateau, including steep ascents and descents, scrambling and climbing, pressing through slots and cracks and off-track navigating.
The area is a maze of cliffs, pagodas, canyons and slots with stunning views across the Capertee Valley. We’ll explore around Point Nicholson on the Red Rocks plateau. Plan for a total distance of around 20 kilometres, camping Saturday on the plateau and returning to Newnes on Sunday afternoon. We carry all supplies in our packs, including warm winter clothing and bedding and plenty of drinking water which may not be available anywhere on our route.
Meet at the old Newnes Hotel ready to depart on foot Saturday morning at 9:00am sharp. Consider travelling on Friday evening and camping at the grassy national park campground at Newnes. There are pit toilets, but no shops or other services at the meeting location. The final section of Wolgan Road is well maintained gravel. There is no public transport to the meeting location, so organise a seat in someone’s car. See this map for directions: https://goo.gl/Gxkthq
To participate, send an email to Rick (email@example.com). Have a discussion about fitness, experience and equipment, particularly if you have not been on Hike Out trips. Putting your name on a social media list does NOT confirm attendance! Event numbers are limited.
See trip report and image links to understand the terrain and conditions.
• No camping or park use fees
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Follow the instructions to reserve your spot. Email only.
• Be at Newnes Hotel ready to depart on foot at 9:00am sharp.
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
• Have all supplies and equipment in your backpack, including;
- Warm and waterproof clothing and bedding
- Tent, sleeping mat and good sleeping bag
- Food for 2 days/1 night, cooking gear, utensils and fuel
- Drinking water and water filtration/treatment equipment
- Supplies for making hot drinks
- Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent and a variety of clothing
- Map, compass, GPS, PLB, first aid, camera, and all the equipment and supplies that you usually take on a remote hike of this nature.
PLANNED CAMPING LOCATIONS:
Friday: (optional) Newnes NPWS campground
Saturday: Point Nicholson
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, fit and on time for this adventure. We explore as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We understand that there is no insurance cover provided.
1. Tom Brennan - Red Rocks Trip Report:
2. Dave Noble - Red Rocks Trip Report:
3. Andrew Smith - Red Rocks Notated Photo Journal:
4. NPWS Newnes Campground:
This event is planned for members of Hike Out, the friendly, diverse and inclusive community of outdoor enthusiasts where everyone is always welcome. Find out more at https://www.hikeout.org/