Hiking and pack camping to Kowmung River in Kanangra-Boyd National Park.
This adventure will suit fit people with recent experience at challenging hikes. You need good gear and previous experience to undertake this challenging 3 day hike in remote, steep terrain. Consider the walk HARD and understand that it involves a very steep descent to the river and a huge climb out of the valley to finish the weekend. There will be scrambling and climbing, off-track navigation, wading in creeks and rivers and pressing through thick scrub. We’ll camp at undeveloped riverside clearings and carry all supplies in our packs, including plenty of drinking water for the potential hot, arduous conditions.
Allow for a total distance around 30 kilometers as we spend 3 days and 2 nights exploring from Kanangra Walls to the wild Kowmung River, including a fantastic deep billabong discovered on a previous trip.
Meet at Kanangra Walls car park Friday morning ready to depart with packs. We'll return to our vehicles on Sunday in the late afternoon or early evening.
See this google map for location and travel details: http://goo.gl/RjBCMo
To participate, send an email to Rick (email@example.com). Discuss fitness, equipment and recent experience. Note that placing your name on a social media list does NOT confirm attendance! Numbers limited.
Read on, the follow links to further information.
Vehicle - $8.00 vehicle/day (or annual NPWS pass)
No camping fees
PLANNED CAMPING LOCATIONS:
Friday and Saturday: Kowmung River between Orange Bluff and Reillys creek (remote with no facilities)
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
* Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and discuss the trip, gear, fitness and recent experience.
* Be at Kanangra Walls ready to depart on foot Friday morning at 10:00am
* Consider camping overnight Thursday at nearby Boyd River car camping area
* Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
* Have all supplies and equipment in your backpack, including;
- Drinking water and water filtration/treatment equipment
- Warm and waterproof clothing
- Waterproof pack liner
- Tent, sleeping mat and good sleeping bag
- Food for 3 days/2 nights, cooking gear, utensils and fuel
- Supplies for making hot drinks
- Towel and swimmers
- Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent and a variety of clothing
- Map, compass, GPS, PLB, first aid, camera, rope and carabiner and all equipment and supplies you usually take on a remote hike of this nature.
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, on time and ready to hike. We participate as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this activity. We watch out for each other and focus on everyone having a safe, enjoyable trip.
NPWS Kanangra-Boyd National Park:
Hike Out Trip Photos - January 2017