Take the steep terrain challenge and spend a night by the Blue Gum Forest in Grose Valley.
Suitable for fit people with recent experience at challenging hikes. You need good hiking and pack camping gear and strong fitness for the steep climb out of the valley to finish.
Meet Saturday morning at Pieces Pass carpark off Bells Line of Road. We depart on foot with packs at 8:30am sharp. Walk a total about 15 kilometres, including a very steep descent into the valley on Saturday and a huge climb back out on Sunday. See this map: https://goo.gl/maps/VLKWcUfDkpp
We’ll pitch tents on Saturday night at Acacia Flat Campground near the Blue Gum Forest. In hot weather, a dip in the Grose River will be most welcome.
To participate, send an email to Rick (firstname.lastname@example.org). Check on availability and have a discussion about fitness, experience, equipment and your ability to get to the remote start location. Note that adding your name on social media does NOT confirm attendance. Email only. Event numbers limited.
IMPORTANT: Bring plenty of drinking water and filtration equipment. It may be necessary to treat water from rivers and creeks.
Read on, then follow links for further information.
• No camping or park use fees
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Follow the instructions to reserve your spot. Email only.
• Make your way to the carpark at Pierces Pass, ready to depart on foot at 8:30am sharp
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
• Have supplies and equipment in your backpack, including;
- Plenty of fresh drinking water
- Warm and waterproof clothing
- Tent, sleeping mat and good sleeping bag
- Food for 1 night/2 days, cooking gear, utensils and fuel
- Supplies for making hot drinks
- Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent and a variety of clothing, swimmers and towel
- Map, compass, GPS, PLB, first aid, camera, and all the equipment and supplies that you usually take on a hike of this nature.
PLANNED CAMPING LOCATIONS:
Saturday: Acacia Flat Campground - pack camping
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, fit and on time for this adventure. We explore as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved. We understand that there is no insurance cover provided.
NPWS - Pierces Pass to Blue Gum Forest Walking Track
NPWS - Acacia Flat Campground
Event photo of Grose Valley by Rhys Pope Photography.