A full day swimming, liloing and hiking at Wollangambe River near Mount Wilson.
This adventure will suit fit, strong swimmers with recent hiking experience. We spend all day on the river, often swimming or liloing through long, deep sections. The walk in and out totals about 7 kilometres and will be reasonably challenging. All gear must be carried and there are some steep, exposed sections at river access points. We travel a 5klm section of the river, however particular canyoning skills are not required and there is no abseils involved.
• Wetsuit - Preferably a steamer suit with long arms and legs.
• Lilo - A good quality, sturdy model that will cope with sharp, rocky terrain.
• Footwear - Comfortable, grippy shoes worn in the water for climbing and scrambling.
• Backpack - Worn in the water. A special waterproof bag, or regular backpack containing sturdy dry-bags with your gear.
Meet at Cathedral Reserve in Mount Wilson, ready for an early start, departing at 8:00am sharp. We’ll travel in some vehicles a short distance to the hike start and set off on foot for our full day on the river. We’ll take lunch supplies and plenty of fresh drinking water and stop for a riverside lunch break during the day. There is no public transport available to Mount Wilson.
See this map for waypoints and our walking and canyoning route plan: https://goo.gl/nS4YPf
To participate, send an email to Rick (firstname.lastname@example.org). Have a discussion about fitness, experience and equipment prior to joining. Note that putting your name on a list on Facebook or Meetup does NOT confirm attendance! Email only. Event numbers are limited.
See trip reports and images below to get a clear understanding of the kind of terrain and understanding of the canyon we will explore.
$5.00 each participant. Includes;
• $4.57 donation to Hike Out
• $0.43 Paypal fee
• Insurance or public liability cover
• Travel costs
• Snacks, lunch and incidental costs
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Follow the instructions to reserve your spot. Email only.
• Make payment of $5.00
- by Paypal https://www.paypal.com/ to email@example.com
- by EFT. Bank details on request
• Be at Mount Wilson ready to depart at 8:00am sharp.
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
• Have all supplies and equipment in your waterproof backpack, including;
- Wetsuit - long arm and leg steamer suit
- Lilo - Strong canvas style
- Grippy shoes to be worn in the water
- Consider wearing a canyoning helmet
- Towel and a fresh change of clothes
- Lunch supplies, snacks and fruit.
- Fresh drinking water and water filtration/treatment equipment
- Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent, sunscreen
- Waterproof camera
- Spare Lilo - small inexpensive backup
- First aid kit, medications, map, compass, GPS, PLB, and all equipment and supplies that you usually take on a day trip of this nature.
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, fit and on time for this adventure. We explore as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We understand that there is no insurance cover provided.
1. OzUltimate - Wollangambe Canyon - Upper and Lower Tourist Sections
(Includes links to trip reports and photos)
Upper - http://ozultimate.com/canyoning/track_notes/wollangambe_1.htm
Lower - http://ozultimate.com/canyoning/track_notes/wollangambe_2.htm
2. Dave Noble - Wollangambe Wilderness Canyons
3. Andrew Smith - Wollangambe 2 - Notated photo journal:
4. Fat Canyoners - Wollangambe 1
5. OzUltimate - Canyoning safety