Packraft the Shoalhaven River over Easter long weekend.
This adventure will suit fit, strong swimmers, with good packrafting gear, safety equipment and previous experience in moving water at novice level, or greater.
Spend 4 days rafting 50 kilometres on the Shoalhaven River. We travel the section from Great Horseshoe Bend to Tallowa Dam. Many grade 1 and 2 rapids mixed with long deep sections and a few grade 3 rapids for good measure. The final section involves deeper flat water behind Tallowa Dam. We camp 3 nights at undeveloped riverside clearings and carry all equipment and supplies in our packs and on the rafts. There is a 2 kilometre hike on a steep ridge descent to meet the river. All participants will arrange their part in a long car shuttle, with a drive of around 2 hours each way.
Some of the essential items:
• Packraft - Sturdy, tested, professionally manufactured raft, designed for trip of this nature
• PFD - Whitewater PFD that fits you well
• Whitewater Helmet - No climbing or bike helmets
• Paddle - Lightweight, strong, kayak/packraft paddle.
• Grab ropes correctly installed on raft
• Throwbag rescue rope
• Raft Repair Kit
Meet agreed time at Tallowa Dam in Moollattoo NSW. We leave some cars, then travel in others to the start at Bungonia NSW. See map for waypoints and travel routes: https://goo.gl/NNdSts
If the river level is too low (or high), a 4-day hike in Ettrema Gorge will be the planned alternative.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Confirm that you have good fitness, swimming skills and the essential rafting and safety equipment listed.
• Contact Rick (firstname.lastname@example.org) by email to discuss participation and car shuttle.
• Prepare your rafting and camping gear, safety equipment, food and supplies for the trip.
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
• Be at Tallowa Dam ready to depart at the agreed time.
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, well equipped, fit and on time for this adventure. We explore as a group of friends, accepting the personal risks involved. We understand that no insurance cover is provided.
Previous Trip Reports - Note some of these trips may not involve the use of all essential gear and safety equipment that will be required to join the Hike Out trip.