Bike and hike to Splendour Rock in Wild Dog Mountains on Anzac Day 2018.
This adventure will suit fit people with recent experience at solid mountain bike rides and challenging hikes. You need good bike and gear to join this 25 kilometre day trip. Consider the activity HARD because there are steep ascents, descents, scrambling and climbing.
The route takes in some great scenery, including the pinnacle of our day, a visit to the Bushwalkers War Memorial at the southern end of Mt Dingo.
Plan for a total distance about 25 kilometres, including 15km on the bikes and 10km on foot. We will stash our bikes in the scrub to complete the walk to Splendour Rock. We carry all supplies in our packs and on our bikes, including plenty of drinking water which may not be available along the route.
Meet at Dunphy Camping Area (formerly Carlons Farm) at the end of the Megalong Valley, ready to depart on bikes at 8:30am. Rick can meet the train arriving Blackheath 7:37AM and transport a couple of people and bikes to the start. Please contact him to make this arrangement as vehicle space is limited.
To participate, send an email to Rick (firstname.lastname@example.org). Have a discussion about fitness, experience and equipment. Putting your name on a list on social media does NOT confirm attendance! Numbers limited.
See links below for more info about this trip and the area we explore.
• No camping or park use fees
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Contact Rick to let him know that you’d like to attend. Mention how you will get to Dunphy Camping Area and discuss your fitness and equipment. Mention existing medical conditions like asthma, allergies or diabetes before the day.
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
• Be at Dunphy Camping Area ready to depart on mountain bikes at 8:30AM sharp.
• Have all supplies and equipment in your pack, including:
- Plenty of fresh drinking water
- Lunch, snacks and everything you want to eat (no shops after Blackheath)
- Mountain bike, helmet, gloves and other riding and protective gear
- Spare tube, puncture repair kit, bike tools etc
- Hiking gear and footwear, worn after we leave our bikes
- Spare warm clothes
- Rain jacket or poncho
- Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent
- Map, compass, GPS, PLB, first aid, camera, and all equipment and supplies that you usually take on a bike & hike of this nature.
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, fit and on time for this adventure. We explore as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We understand that there is no insurance cover provided.
1. Bushwalking NSW - Splendour Rock
2. Fat Canyoners
3. Dave Noble
4. NPWS - Blue Mountains National Park: