Explore around Point Cameron in Gardens of Stone National Park.
Suitable for fit people who have done recent challenging hikes. You need good hiking and camping gear and to feel comfortable with heights and some climbing exposure. Consider the walk HARD because we traverse the heavily dissected plateau, including steep ascents and descents, scrambling and climbing, pressing through slots and cracks and off-track navigating.
The area around Point Cameron is a maze of cliffs, pagodas, canyons and slots with great views across the Capertee Valley. We’ll explore around Mount Davidson, Point Cameron, Blue Rock Gap, Hughes Defile and possibly over to Woolpack Rock. Plan for a total distance up to 30 kilometres, camping Saturday and Sunday on the plateau and returning to our 4-wheel drives on Monday afternoon. We carry all supplies in our packs, including warm winter clothing and bedding and plenty of drinking water, which may be difficult to find on the plateau.
You need a 4-wheel drive, or to organise a seat in a 4-wheel drive, to reach the start of this hike. Meet at the Outback Cafe in Lithgow (126A Main St, Lithgow - Phone: 0421022207) ready to leave in 4-wheel drives at 8:30am sharp. See this map for waypoints and travel directions: https://goo.gl/vpYTyU
To participate, send an email to Rick (firstname.lastname@example.org). Check on availability and have a discussion about fitness, experience, equipment and your 4 wheel drive prior to joining the hike. Note that adding your name on a social media event does NOT confirm attendance. Email only. Event numbers limited.
Read on, then follow links to trip reports and images to get a clear understanding of the kind of terrain and difficulty of the landscape we will explore.
IMPORTANT: Bring plenty of drinking water. There may be no ground water to collect throughout our trip. Leave spare water in 4-wheel drives, should we need to return to vehicles for water resupply.
• No camping or park use fees
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Follow the instructions to reserve your spot. Email only.
• Be at Lithgow ready to depart in 4-wheel drives at 8:30am sharp.
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
• Have all supplies and equipment in your backpack, including;
- Plenty of fresh drinking water
- Warm and waterproof clothing
- Tent, sleeping mat and good sleeping bag
- Food for 3 days/2 nights, cooking gear, utensils and fuel
- Supplies for making hot drinks
- Hat, sunscreen, insect repellent and a variety of clothing
- Map, compass, GPS, PLB, first aid, camera, and all the equipment and supplies that you usually take on a hike of this nature.
PLANNED CAMPING LOCATIONS:
Saturday: Pondage near Point Cameron (or nearby)
Sunday: Same, or Hughes Defile or Woolpack Gap (depending water availability)
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, fit and on time for this adventure. We explore as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We understand that there is no insurance cover provided.
1. Trip Report
2. Dave Noble - trip report:
3. Andrew Smith - Point Cameron day trip - notated photo journal:
5. NPWS Gardens of Stone National Park: