Explore 22 kilometres of headland, rivers and beaches along the Kiama coast.
This day will suit people with good fitness and recent walking experience. We walk 22 kilometres at an energetic pace, enjoying a lunch break along the way. The day includes climbs and descents on roughly formed walking track.
From Minnamurra we descend to Jones Beach, then visit bays and inlets with volcanic formations like Cathedral Rocks and The Boneyard. The walk along Bombo Beach concludes with a steep climb over Pheasant Head to Kiama.
We’ll continue past Little Blowhole and Loves Bay on the famous Coast Track and along the cliff tops of four headlands to arrive at Werri Lagoon, then on to Gerringong for a cold beer and the train home.
This day will NOT suit people new to hiking, or those who have not been doing good long walks in preparation. Please consider this walk of medium difficulty and understand that it will be conducted at an energetic pace that requires good fitness.
Meet the Hike Out crew at Minnamurra train station, ready to depart on foot at 9:45am. Trackwork has buses replacing trains south of Wollongong Station.
To the walk start:
A - Train departing Central at 6:29am arrives Wollongong 8:04am
B - 2SC bus departing Wollongong 8:21am arrives Kiama 8:51am
C - 5SC bus departing Kiama 9:13am arrives Minnamurra 9:20am
From the walk finish:
A - 1SC bus departing Gerringong 4:37pm arrives Kiama 4:52pm
B - 2SC bus departing Kiama 4:57pm arrives Wollongong 5:37pm
C - Train departing Wollongong 5:47pm arrives Central 7:18pm
See the links for more information and contact Rick to check availability and ask questions. Putting your name on a list on social media does NOT confirm attendance! Event numbers are limited.
$5.00 each participant. Includes;
• $4.57 donation to Hike Out
• $0.43 Paypal fee
• Insurance or public liability cover
• Travel costs
• Snacks, lunch and incidental costs
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Check that you have the required fitness and equipment and can get to Minnamurra train station. Note that buses will replace trains.
• Contact Rick (email@example.com) to check on availability and to discuss fitness or equipment. Mention any existing medical conditions like asthma, allergies or diabetes before the day.
• If space is available, make payment of $5.00
- by Paypal https://www.paypal.com to firstname.lastname@example.org
- by EFT. Bank details on request
• Be at at the meeting location ready to depart on foot at 9:45am sharp.
• Wear clothing appropriate for the day’s weather forecast.
• Wear hiking boots or trail shoes that are worn in and comfortable and NOT brand new!
• Consider using hiking poles
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to return
• Bring a daypack loaded with:
- Selection of spare clothing, warm jacket etc.
- Plenty of fresh drinking water (minimum 2 litres), with refill at Kiama.
- Lunch supplies and trail snacks
- Hat, sunscreen, rain poncho
- First aid, camera, medications and any other items you usually take on hiking days.
It is up to each participant to be fully prepared, fit and on time for the hike. We walk as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We understand that there is no insurance cover provided.
1. Visit NSW - Kiama Coast Walk:
2. PDF - Kiama Coast Walk Brochure and Map
3. Kiama Walking Trails and Cycling Routes
Event image by Brian Ayling: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bdayling/