While the city sleeps, hike to Lockley Pylon in the Blue Mountains and experience this landscape at night, lit by the full moon.
This adventure will suit fit people who have prepared with some good long walks and organised their lighting, warm clothes and snacks in a day pack. We hike a total of 7 kilometres, out-and-back to Lockley Pylon. The moon becomes 100% full early Saturday morning shortly before sunrise.
Meet in Leura village ready to depart in vehicles at 3:00am. We’ll carpool and travel to the trailhead along well maintained dirt roads. The hike will take a minimum of 4 hours to complete. Plan to watch the moon set and the sun rise before heading back to Leura for a hot cafe breakfast. For safety, we agree to stay together during the hike.
See the links below for further information and safety tips for night hiking.
No park use fees.
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
* Email Rick (email@example.com) to reserve your spot on the trip
* Be in Leura ready to depart at 3:00am Saturday morning
* Have a good quality, bright head torch with fresh new batteries
* Wear a selection of warm clothing
* Wear sturdy hiking boots that are worn in and comfortable
* Let someone know your plans and when you expect to be back.
* Bring a backpack loaded with:
- Spare warm clothing, beanie, gloves etc for when we stop hiking.
- Spare backup torch with fresh batteries.
- Plenty of fresh drinking water
- Supplies for making hot drinks, hot chocolate, tea bags, milk, drinking mug, spoon - We will be able to boil drinking water at Lockley Pylon.
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, fit and on time for this adventure. We explore as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved. We understand that there is no insurance cover provided.
Safe Night Hiking Tips: