Snow hiking and pack camping in Kosciuszko National Park.
For experienced, well equipped winter hikers, this trip involves hiking on snowshoes or cross-country skis and carrying all supplies in packs. We travel at least 30km and camp in tents on snow for 3 nights.
We'll explore the Munyang valley corridor from Guthega Power Station, passing Horse Camp, White’s River and Schlink Huts, then climb Gungartan Pass to visit Tin Hut.
WHAT IS ESSENTIAL?
• Stamina and physical fitness
• All of the correct gear
• Acceptance of the potential risks
• Willingness to discuss the trip and satisfy others of your ability and preparedness.
• Thursday 9 August - Be parked at Guthega Power Station, ready to depart on snowshoes at 2:00pm sharp. Hike and camp near Horse Camp Hut.
• Friday 10 August - Hike and camp near Tin Hut
• Saturday 11 August - Hike and camp near White’s River Hut
• Sunday 12 August - Hike to Guthega Power Station trailhead, drive to Thredbo and camp in car-based campground.
• Monday 13 August - Travel homeward.
We camp in tents on snow. You need to carry a sturdy 4-season tent, regardless of any thoughts about staying in huts. Any huts, if reached, may already be occupied, or may be otherwise unsuitable for overnight accommodation. See a list of other essential gear below, all of which needs to be organised.
The Australian Alps can be a very dangerous environment. This is not a trip to join if you are not fully prepared, or if your gear is inappropriate. It is preferable to discover problems with preparation and gear before we set off, rather than when it creates a life-threatening situation, such as insufficient shelter, warmth, or waterproofing if the weather turns bad.
GEAR (each trip participant)
• Snowshoes or cross-country skis
• Walking boots (quality, worn-in, and waterproofed)
• Hiking poles (with snow cages)
• Eye and face protection (goggles/sunglasses)
• Hiking pack (large to fit all gear with pack liner and rain cover)
• Waterproof jacket (Goretex, or other seam-sealed, non-lined equivalent)
• Waterproof overpants (Goretex, or other seam-sealed, non-lined equivalent)
• Thermals (polypropylene or wool - NO COTTON)
• Sleeping bag (rated at least -10°C)
• Thermarest sleeping mat
• Water bottles or backpack bladder (full at start)
GEAR (Each trip participant or shared with others)
• 4 season hiking tent (sufficient size for number of occupants)
• Food, snacks and supplies for making hot drinks
• Stove and fuel
WHAT'S ALREADY ORGANISED?
• PLB emergency locator beacon
• GPS with planned route tracks
• Snow shovel
Most primary gear is available for hire in Cooma or Jindabyne. It is compulsory to carry snow chains in 2wd vehicles in parts of Kosciuszko National Park.
1. NPWS Kosciuszko
2. Gear Hire - Cooma
3. Gear Hire - East Jindabyne (Yowie Snowshoes)
It is up to each person to be fully prepared, on time and ready for this trip. We explore as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We watch out for each other and focus on everyone having a safe, enjoyable trip.