Celebrate the first day of spring exploring the Great North Walk in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
One of our favourite walks, this day will suit people with good fitness and recent walking experience. We hike 14 kilometres in Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park, with lunch break along the way. The day will include some solid climbs and descents on roughly formed walking track. We start and finish with the convenience of train stations.
This is a great section of the Great North Walk from Cowan to Hawkesbury River at Brooklyn. We’ll enjoy early spring wildflowers along our route as we visit Jerusalem Bay and Brooklyn Dam before arriving at Hawkesbury River in the late afternoon.
This event will NOT suit people new to hiking, or those who have not been doing some long walks in preparation. This is a challenging section of the Great North Walk. Please consider the walk medium-hard difficulty.
Meet your Hike Out friends at Cowan train station, ready to leave on foot at 8:45am. The train leaving Central 7:47am arrives Cowan 8:36am. In the afternoon, trains leave Hawkesbury River Station toward the city at five minutes to each hour. IMPORTANT: Cowan has a short platform. Leave the train at Cowan from the rear 4 carriages only.
Check the links for more information and contact Rick (firstname.lastname@example.org) to ask questions, discuss fitness & equipment and to check availability. Note that putting your name on a list on Facebook or Meetup does NOT confirm attendance! Email only. Event numbers are limited.
$5.00 each participant. Includes;
• $4.57 donation to Hike Out
• $0.43 Paypal fee
• Insurance or public liability cover
• Travel costs
• Snacks, lunch and incidental costs
WHAT DO I NEED TO DO?
• Check that you have the required fitness and equipment and can travel to Cowan.
• Contact Rick (email@example.com) to discuss fitness or equipment. Mention existing medical conditions like asthma, allergies or diabetes before the day.
• Make payment of $5.00
- by Paypal https://www.paypal.com to firstname.lastname@example.org
- by EFT. Bank details on request
• Be at Cowan Station ready to depart on foot at 8:45am sharp.
• Wear clothing appropriate for the day’s weather forecast.
• Wear hiking boots or trail shoes that are worn in and comfortable and NOT brand new!
• Consider using hiking poles
• Let someone know your plans and when you expect to return
• Bring a daypack loaded with:
- Selection of spare clothing, warm jacket etc.
- Plenty of fresh drinking water (minimum 2 litres)
- Lunch supplies and trail snacks
- Hat, sunscreen, rain poncho
- First aid, camera, medications and any other items you usually take on hiking days.
It is up to each participant to be fully prepared, fit and on time for the hike. We walk as a group of friends each accepting the personal risks involved with this type of activity. We understand that no insurance cover is provided.
3. Great North Walk: